We believe that EVERY child should have a quality education and a chance at a successful life.
Graduating from high school is one of the many steps young people in the Coastal Bend need to take in order to gain sustainable employment.
At United Way, our primary goal is to increase high school graduation rates. In order to achieve this goal, education needs to start early. The most crucial years are right after children are born to age 5. If children are equipped to enter kindergarten, their chances for doing well, staying in school, and graduating are immensely stronger. That is why an initiative such as Success by 6, is important for our young population.
Why education from 0-5 years old is so important:
• 90% of children's critical brain development occurs by age 5.
• Children who are read to, sung to and talked to from a young age develop bigger vocabularies, become better readers and are more likely to succeed in school.
• The Early Development Instrument (EDI) conducted by United Way of the Coastal Bend in collaboration with UCLA Center for Healthier Children, Families and Communities, found that more than half (26 of 43) neighborhoods in Corpus Christi have a high percentage of children not ready for kindergarten.
Providing quality after-school programming and increasing leadership and life skills in youth from grades 1-12, is just as important.
• Participation in high-quality out-of-school time programs helps to improve student work-study habits, homework completion rates, and course grades.
• Participation in quality programs also helps to increase student engagement and school connectedness, increases in self-esteem, improved relationships with peers and adults, and declines in negative, risk-taking behavior.
• Increased student engagement and performance in school can help to improve overall educational attainment.
United Way of the Coastal Bend believes that increasing access to engaging, relevant, and high-quality out-of-school time activities will ultimately help to increase high school graduation rates.
Join us in investing in the youngest minds and hearts in our community. You will be Changing the Coastal Bend for Good.