In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, many Coastal Bend residents feel overwhelmed and unsure of who to turn to for long-term assistance. We’re here to help. Below is a collection of local resources for those who need help. We will update this page as we receive more information.
Hurricane season begins June 1st. Use this guide provided by www.ready.gov to ensure that you're prepared.
State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry (STEAR)
Do you or anyone you know need some assistance during times of an emergency event? The state of Texas presents the STEAR program. The STEAR program is a free registry that provides local emergency planners and emergency responders with additional information on the needs in their community. Texas communities use the registry information in different ways. Registering yourself in the STEAR registry DOES NOT guarantee that you will receive a specific service during an emergency. Available services will vary by community. For more information on how your community will use information in the STEAR registry, contact your local emergency management office. You MUST register each year for STEAR.
Who Should Register?
- People with Disabilities
- People with access and functional needs such as:
- People who have limited mobility
- People who have communication barriers
- People who require additional medical assistance during an emergency event
- People who require transportation assistance
- People who require personal care assistance
How to Register
- Register Online at State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry
- Dial 2-1-1, select Language Option, then select Option #4 to speak with call specialist or use your video telephone relay option of choice to contact 211 at 877-541-7905 (Texas Information Referral Network)
- Registration forms
- Nursing Home & Assisted Living STEAR Registration Form (PDF) https://www.dps.texas.gov/dem/stear/public.htm
- STEAR Individual Registration Form (2019) (PDF) https://www.dps.texas.gov/dem/stear/public.htm
- Registro del Estado de Texas para Asistencia en Casos de Emergencia (STEAR) 2019 (PDF) https://www.dps.texas.gov/dem/stear/public.htm
Disaster Recovery Assistance
To find the best resource for your disaster-related needs, call 2-1-1. A representative will be able to connect you with the organization that can help the most. For more information, visit the Texas 2-1-1 website. http://www.211texas.org/
Disaster Distress Hotline
There's a hotline ready for victims and volunteers impacted by Harvey. Contact the Disaster Distress Hotline by calling 800-985-5990 or texting "talkwithus" to 66746. This hotline is operated by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and runs 24/7, 365 days a year.
Texans Recovering Together
The Texans Recovering Together program assists those affected by Hurricane Harvey through education, recovery efforts, supportive outreach and referrals. If you have experienced the destructive winds, witnessed the rising water in your home or apartment, or just feel the need to talk to someone for support and help in finding local assistance, Texans Recovering Together has trained community liaisons to assist you. Contact Texans Recovering Together by dialing: 361-561-8438.
BACK TO WORK
Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend
For information on employment assistance, call 888-960-JOBS (5627)