United Way of the Coastal Bend, together with FamilyWize Community Service Partnership, Walgreens, and the Department of Health and Human Services hosted a free flu vaccination clinic at Mission of Mercy in Corpus Christi on Oct. 14. The clinic provided flu vaccines at no-cost to 100 people without health insurance or who otherwise would be unable to afford the vaccine.
"We believe that everyone should have access to healthcare," said Donna Hurley, Vice President of Community Impact at United Way of the Coastal Bend. "We are grateful for these partnerships because they allow us to ensure vaccines and other healthcare resources are accessible to those who need them."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a yearly flu vaccination for anyone six months of age and older to help protect against the seasonal flu epidemic. December through March is peak season for flu activity and individuals are urged to take preventative measures to keep themselves and those around them healthy.
Flu Avoidance Tips
In addition to getting the flu vaccine, FamilyWize also offers the following prevention tips:
- Clean your hands: Wash your hands as often and thoroughly as possible with soap and water. If soap is not available use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Stay home: Avoid leaving your home for school, work, and errands when you are sick. Experts recommend you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone.
- Avoid close contact: Do your best to avoid close contact with people who are sick. You should also avoid close contact with others when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth: Viruses often spread when a person touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth after exposure to the virus. Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
- Keep your surroundings clean: Clean and disinfect anything that may be contaminated with germs.