Free Income Tax Prep
Trained and tested by IRS-certified instructors, VITA volunteers provide FREE income tax filing services for low- to moderate-income individuals and families. This helps taxpayers avoid fees and receive assistance obtaining all applicable tax credits. VITA's goal is to get as much as possible back into the local economy. Taxpayers are encouraged to use the IRS's withholding calculator to see how the new tax reform law will affect income tax returns in the 2019 season as the amount received is likely to change.
Interested in volunteering? Visit our VITA Volunteer page for information on training sessions. If you have any questions about volunteering, download the VITA Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions list.
VITA Service Information
Please note: Income tax returns will be different than previous years for many taxpayers due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. This created a change to the amount withheld from each paycheck, which means a change to the amount returned in 2019. Taxpayers are encouraged to visit the IRS website for a full explanation on what to expect.
VITA Service FAQs
- The IRS will not accept tax returns until January 29, 2019; however, returns can be completed before January 29th and will be held for e-filing until January 29th.
- Tax returns claiming Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and/or Additional Child Tax Credit (CTC) will not be accepted by the IRS before February 15, 2019. The IRS anticipates that the earliest refunds from these returns will be available on February 28, 2019.
- VITA sites won’t prepare any prior year tax returns until March 11, 2019. Current year returns will be prepared prior to this date, but any returns for years 2017 and earlier will not be prepared prior to March 11th.
Make Sure You Have These Documents
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents NOTE: You must have the actual card(s)
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
List of VITA Locations
United Way of the Coastal Bend
4659 Everhart Rd., Corpus Christi
Opens Jan. 14, 2019
Goodwill-S. Port Ave.
2961 S. Port Ave., Corpus Christi
Tues., Wed. & Thur. 4-8pm
Sat. 9am-noon & 1-4pm
Opens Jan. 15, 2019
Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend Sunrise Career Center
Sunrise Mall, Corpus Christi
Sat. 9am-12:30pm (Feb. only)
Opens Feb. 4, 2019
10209 S.P.I.D., Corpus Christi
Sat. 9am-noon & 1-4pm
Opens Jan. 19, 2019
Coastal Bend College-Alice
704 Coyote Trail, Room 206A
Del Mar College-East Campus
Venters Building, Second Floor
101 Baldwin Blvd., Corpus Christi
Tues. & Thur. 2-6pm
Opens Jan. 29, 2019
Nueces County Keach Family Library
1000 Terry Shamsie Blvd., Robstown
Opens Febv. 6, 2019
Coastal Bend College-Beeville
3800 Charco Rd.
George Elam Bldg., Room 116
Texas A&M University–Corpus Christi
O'Connor Bldg., Room 135
Fri. 2-6pm, Sat. 1-6pm & Sun. 1-6pm
Opens Feb. 1, 2019
Sponsored by the Coastal Bend VITA Coalition, VITA is a collaboration of United Way of the Coastal Bend, Del Mar College, Goodwill Industries of South Texas, the Internal Revenue Service, Coastal Bend College, Nueces County Keach Family Library, Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend and Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. No taxpayer shall be subjected to discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, age or disability.