United Way of the Coastal Bend is providing free assistance to those whose household incomes are less than $58,000. Qualified families or individuals needing assistance can receive FREE help with:
- Preparing past tax returns (2021, 2020, 2019),
- Interpreting/translating IRS letters
This service is available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-11 AM through August 30, 2022 at United Way of the Coastal Bend (4659 Everhart Road in Corpus Christi). Drop-off only. No phone calls.
What to bring
Please be prepared to drop-off/provide copies of the following:
- Your photo ID
- Social Security card or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) letter for all individuals listed on the return
- W-2s, 1099s (including 1099-G for unemployment received if applicable) and all other tax-related documents for tax filing term
- Letter 6419 from the IRS regarding Advanced Child Tax Credit distributed in tax filing term
- Form 1095-A, B or C Health Insurance Coverage Statement
- All 1098 E&T forms for educational expenses
- Childcare provider name, address, phone number and tax ID number
- Voided check if using direct deposit for refund
- Copy of your most previous tax return (if possible)
If dropping off, you will also be asked to fill out the following:
- Form 14446 (VITA Virtual Consent) - provided at the VITA drop-off site
- Form 13614-C (Intake & Interview Sheet - can print/fill out in advance or complete when provided at the VITA drop-off site
Document drop-off and tax preparation
Upon drop-off, all information will be placed in an envelope and sealed with your name and a reliable contact phone number printed on the outside of the envelope. Providing a reliable contact number is vital so that your tax preparer can contact you if they have any questions.
Once reviewed/completed, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment to return to the VITA site to review your tax information and sign any necessary forms (NOTE: both spouses must be present to sign joint tax returns). For the safety of all parties, masks will be required and social distancing will be observed during your appointment. We will provide you with copies and return your tax documents to you at your appointment.
OTHER TAX ASSISTANCE OPTIONS
Those seeking free assistance can use MyFreeTaxes online at www.myfreetaxes.com or go to irs.gov and click on the 'Do Your Taxes For Free' link.
Interested in volunteering to help others prepare their tax returns in 2023? Click here.
The Coastal Bend VITA Coalition is a collaborative partnership of United Way of the Coastal Bend, Del Mar College, Goodwill Industries of South Texas, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, the IRS, Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend and West Oso High School.
Get free tax prep assistance online
Those seeking other free, alternative options for tax prep assistance can use MyFreeTaxes online at https://www.myfreetaxes.com, or go to irs.gov and click on the 'Do Your Taxes For Free' link.