Free Income Tax Prep
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax preparation services to individuals and families.
If your 2020 household income was $66,000 or less, you can drop off your tax information at one of our VITA sites and have your taxes prepared FREE OF CHARGE by one of our IRS-certified VITA volunteers. Our volunteers can help you claim available tax credits and electronically file your taxes. By taking advantage of this free service, you can avoid paying fees, claim the tax credits you're eligible for, and obtain the largest refund possible.
Changes for 2021 tax filing season
Due to COVID-19, some VITA sites will not be open this tax season and operations at available sites have been revised to reduce face-to-face contact.
To take advantage of our free tax preparation services, please drop-off your tax documents at one of our VITA sites during the site's drop-off hours:
|VITA SITE||ADDRESS||DROP-OFF HOURS||SITE OPEN|
|United Way of the Coastal Bend||4659 Everhart Rd in Corpus Christi|| Monday-Thursday
9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
| February 1-25
March 15-April 15
Site closed February 26-March 14
Goodwill Industries of South Texas (Port Avenue)
|2961 S Port Ave in Corpus Christi|| Monday & Wednesday
5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
|February 1-April 15|
|Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi|| 6300 Ocean Dr in Corpus Christi
Michael & Karen O'Connor Building
(#16 on campus map)
2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
|February 12-April 15|
|Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend||520 N Staples St in Corpus Christi|| Monday-Thursday
2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
|February 8-April 15|
NOTE: For the safety of all parties, masks will be required to enter any VITA site and social distancing will be observed.
What to bring
For us to provide contactless preparation, please be prepared to drop-off/provide copies of the following:
- Your photo ID
- Social Security card or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) letter for all individuals listed on the return
- W-2s, 1099s (including 1099-G for unemployment received if applicable) and all other tax-related documents for 2020
- Form 1095-A, B or C Health Insurance Coverage Statement
- All 1098 E&T forms for educational expenses
- Childcare provider name, address, phone number and tax ID number
- Voided check if using direct deposit for refund
- Copy of your 2019 tax return (if possible)
- Form 14446 (VITA Virtual Consent) - provided at the VITA drop-off site
- Form 13614-C (Intake & Interview Sheet - can print/fill out in advance or complete when provided at the VITA drop-off site
Document drop-off and tax preparation
Interested in becoming a VITA volunteer? Click here.
Get free tax prep assistance online