CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS – Those still needing to file their 2019 tax returns may qualify for free tax preparation assistance being offered at United Way of the Coastal Bend.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax preparation services to individuals and families who earned $56,000 or less in 2019. Those who qualify can receive free basic tax return preparation from IRS-certified volunteers who can help them claim available tax credits and electronically file their taxes.
"We had to temporarily suspend our VITA program during the height of the pandemic," said Donna Hurley, Vice President of Community Impact for United Way of the Coastal Bend. "However, now that offices are reopening, we're taking necessary precautions to ensure everyone's safety and are excited to be able to offer this service to the public once more."
Tax prep assistance is available by appointment at United Way of the Coastal Bend, located at 4659 Everhart Road in Corpus Christi. Appointments will be offered Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30-8:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. through July 15, 2020. Appointments must be scheduled in advance by calling (361)882-2529. Walk-in appointments are not available.
To comply with the state's health standard protocols for reopening Texas, facial coverings will be required and social distancing will be promoted inside the building. Disposable masks will be provided to those who do not have a mask. Visit http://www.uwcb.org/vita for complete procedures and details.
Documents to bring to appointment
- Your government-issued photo ID
- Social Security card or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) letter for all individuals listed on the return
- W-2s, 1099s and all other tax-related documents for 2019
- Form 1095-A, B or C Health Insurance Coverage Statement
- All 1098 E&T forms for educational expenses
- Proof of daycare expenses, along with childcare provider name, address, phone number and tax ID number
- Voided check if using direct deposit for refund
- Copy of your 2018 return, if applicable
NOTE: For joint returns, both spouses must be present to sign required forms.