Our goal: To increase the number of financially stable families in the Coastal Bend.
The key to long-term financial stability is the ability to obtain and keep a job that pays a living wage. United Way of the Coastal Bend helps individuals and families gain the stability they need by supporting organizations and programs that provide job training, job placement assistance, adult literacy courses, financial education and emergency support services. With your support, we can continue to give people the education and tools they need to get sustainable employment and build a solid foundation that improves their lives and the lives of their loved ones.
How your donations help
Unless otherwise designated, donations made to United Way of the Coastal Bend go into our Community Investment Fund. Grants from this fund are distributed to local programs providing services to improve lives in the areas of education, health and financial stability.
Financial stability programs supported through our Community Investment Fund include:
- Bee County Adult Literacy Council - Literacy
- Catholic Charities of Corpus Christi - Emergency Aid and Supportive Services
- Corpus Christi Literacy Council - Literacy Corpus Christi
- Metro Ministries - Food and Shelter programs
- Goodwill Industries of South Texas - Employment Services
- Kleberg County Adult Literacy Council - Literacy
- Live Oak County Child Welfare Board - Basic Needs
- Salvation Army of the Coastal Bend - Shelter Programs
- San Patricio Adult Literacy Council - Literacy
Last year, your donations helped 54,669 people in the Coastal Bend become more financially stable.
Our strategies and results
Other ways we serve Coastal Bend residents
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free basic tax return preparation to those with household income of $66,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English-speaking taxpayers. Working with IRS-certified VITA volunteers, taxpayers can avoid fees, claim the tax credits they're eligible for, and obtain the largest refund possible. By providing these services at no charge, individuals can retain more of their income, which can then go toward groceries, bills, and other expenses that help support the Coastal Bend economy.